The English Bug
People look at me
suspiciously whenever I tell somebody that I don't watch an English film
without its subtitles. And I do this despite watching the Hollywood stuff for
almost 8 years. However, in last three years, if not fewer, I have watched more
than 200 movies. I have also learnt several accents and have gone into rigorous
practises to train myself better not because the kind of job I was working
demanded me to do that but because I had sort of passion for learning different
accents. I have got so close now that I can tell whether a foreigner is pretending to
accentuate English or he is going natural with his articulation. In a small stint
at a call centre in Noida, I used to come across different accents as a
routine. So much so I could distinguish where the speaker is from by the way
s/he speaks. I am good at it.
Boston English isn't the
same as Yankee English. Finns speak English differently than Danes. Chinese and
Japanese might look similar in appearance but their approach to English is as
stark as their foreign policies. An Aussie speaks English with careless
attitude while a Scot speaks the same language with a hidden disdain. Despite
all these vagaries, I still prefer to use subtitles while watching Hollywood films
(British and Australian films as well). Simply because I can't pretend to
understand something I don't. And if I miss a dialogue since I’m more verbally
inclined than visually, then it bugs me. However, if I’m in line with the words
spoken in a film, then I’m at peace. So, it's a personal reason. But what I’ve
noticed among my friends and colleagues is they avoid subtitles because they
don't like to read while watching a movie. That's also their excuse for
overlooking non-English gems that come from the world of cinema. They'd rather
pretend to act like they understood everything that they heard in an English
film (when they haven't) than take the effort to read in sync with the movie.
English is one of the beautiful
languages in the world –Yes my favourite. Though the British have lost their
ability to speak correct English over time in last a few years, countries such
as India, China and Japan, including few European countries, have honed their
English skills very well. I am not at all saying that a country should be
judged over its language. However, what all I am trying to say is that
irrespective of the country you belong to some languages really take your heart
away and for me English is one of them. I love Urdu as well but since my surrounding
contains Hindi and English I am not that good in Urdu. Yes, Sanskrit had been
my craze when I was a child. Mahatma Gandhi said “One who wishes to learn English
well must learn Latin”. My inspiration has something do with Him as well. So, you can never (ever) beat me in the love towards
English and I can tell it to anyone’s face. It’s a long story how it all
happened. But yes, people must learn the essence of English. And for this, you
can read books from Shakespeare, Drummond Allison , Kenneth Allott , Kenneth
Allsop , E. M. Almedingen , John Almon , David Almond , Vincent Alsop , Al
Alvarez , Moniza Alvi , Eric Ambler. I am sure you won’t forget thanking me
later.
No comments:
Post a Comment